Thursday, May 19, 2011

MORE ANSWERS #

hitmbig said...
As I asked for Halloween back on Myspace, how much if any CGI will be used in the new film. I motherfucking hate CGI with a passion in films. It causes to much attention change from the film to 'damn that shit looks fuckin' fake'. Love the films you make as evidence by the tattoo I showed you last summer keep it up.

At this time there are no plans to use any CGI in LORDS. I am not a fan of it although I think it can be very effective it used in very subtle ways. But no one uses it that way. To me most live action films are basically turning into animated films. I also think even great actors come off as stiff and awkward when shot on a green screen.

thiswaytheend said...
what was your reaction to the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre during your first viewing? where did you watch it?

The first time I saw Chainsaw was back in 1981( I think) at the 8th Street Playhouse in NYC (amazing theater). I was blown away. I love every second of it and still do.

Juan J. Espinoza said...
I've read around the net that House of 1000 Corpses was originally a 105 minutes film. Did you cut that in order to get distribution? or was just a matter of making the film better regardless you got a distribution deal or not?

Truthfully I don't remember. I was a long time ago. I do remember a couple missing scenes, one with Baby covered in blood standing over Bill dead body and a few other things.

Blodhorn said...
what is the most important in a Rob Zombie's movie: the story? the message? the subversif meaning, the characters or the possibility of improve your technicity?

The characters. If the characters in a film are interesting I can watch them do just about anything. Most of the time I get bored with films because they are so special effects and plot driven that they forget to create any interesting characters.

coigoodman said...
hi im currently preparing to go to college to study music and film would you happen to know what degree i would need to write music and make music videos? as in direct and produce.... i eventually want to do music and film separately i keep tryin to find out but no one hs any answers for me :\ and im really serious about it i just dont want to look like an idiot and study all the wrong things lol

The reality of the business is that no one cares about a college degree unless you want to be a teacher. I have never once in 25 years ever even heard that mentioned by anyone. I personally have never asked anybody that question when hiring for a music project or film because it does not matter at all... at all. All that matters is the work you can do. If your work is good you will get hired, if it sucks you will not. It is that simple.

I don't want to bum you out because obviously going to school and learning is a good idea but don't be fooled by some piece of paper. In the world of "art" it is worthless. Obviously if you wanted to be a doctor then it is a whole other thing. The truth is while you are in school doing your homework some other dude the same age is on-set working as a P.A. Now he might just be running around getting coffee but he is learning more about how things really work. Hope this helps.

9 comments:

  1. Once again, great answers!

    About how long does it take you to write a script? Also, how would I be able to work on LORDS? I have set experience and would be willing to travel just to bust my ass on set for you.

    -Michael
    mksnyder1990@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with what you said about CGI. When you see it in most mainstream films, it is not used subtly, and it becomes really, really distracting. I am glad that you aren't planning on putting CGI in Lords of Salem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for taking the time to answer my question and your answer did help and will greatly reduce the time and money i spend on school i wish i could just not go but i dont know how to do any of the stuff i want to do i can write a song but i cant write the music for it :\ i have ideas for music videos for songs i have in mind but i dont know how to make it happen and the best way i can think of is going to school because i dont think anyone that is already doing if would have the time or patience to show me how its done and hopefully one day ill be good enough at what i do that i can work with you either in music or film.. that would be an honor :) out of all the people i have tried contacting about my questions you are the only one in the industry to take me seriously enough to actually respond and that means a lot to me :)if this wasnt public id give ya an idea i had for a movie u could do dont want anyone stealin my shit lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have one more question im sure it will be a while before i need to know but might as well ask... do you have any tips on balancing marriage and a career in music/film? i dont know a lot about the industry but i do know that i would probably be away from my husband and kids a lot.. i think thats all my questions any other questions ill write down and wait till i got my foot in the door before asking.. i dont want to waste your time sking millions of questions

    ReplyDelete
  5. So where do we post questions?? Skubis

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know? I just love your comments. Bloody well right, an artist is an artist, and artists continue to study, learn, and use their skills all the way through life. Who can have a diploma for THAT? Na. It's a matter of expressing in each and every circumstance. I'm impressed how you took on the Woolite commercial. Shows your wonderful humbleness to the love of learning, and serving. God! That's so beautiful. From artist to artist, I'm expressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rob just wanted to know out of all your albums since Hellbilly Deluxe which is your fav?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think CGI sucks. I get bummed out when people shoot it down or say it sucks. There's Good CGI and Bad CGI. Just like there's Good Practical FX and Bad Practical FX.

    One example of Good CGI would be Edward Norton shooting himself in the mouth at the end of Fight Club. Did they replace his face outright for this scene... Nope. They mapped 3d elements onto his neck, face and mouth area, and matched it up to what was really there.

    I can sculpt a lot faster on the computer than I can in clay. I can undo mistakes with a simple keystroke. I can alter my sculpt at anytime and save that alteration as a new file. That might be useful for previsualization reasons. Rapid Prototype Printing can convert digital objects into real world objects/props.

    Unfortunately Rapid Prototyping cost a lot of money right now. That did not stop Stan Winston Studios from using RP to create real world props from Digital CGI sculpts. They did this to make the real world alien skull, and the alien skeleton and the chair it sat in in Indiana Jones. They also used it to make the real world Iron Man suits.

    All of the costumes and most of the props in Tron Legacy were sculpted on a computer and then rapid prototyped into the real world.

    The end result from this makes the CGI models and the real world props look exactly alike. To me that's a perfect world. You can use real props on the set for the practical work. The actors have something real to act against and psychically handle. If that prop or animatronic character has to do something it cant do on set. You can use the CGI Doppelganger it originated from to do it. This method lets CGI guys actually see what the Doppler props looked like In Scene/On Set under the same scene elements and lighting conditions- providing them with a much better chance at seamlessly matching and integrating the CGI FX.

    If you can do it real, do it real.

    Rob's comment was very respectful. I'm glad he doesn't hate CGI.

    I hope Wayne fools around with Zbrush (and Topogun) some day. It's a little hard to sort out at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fucking cool. The clay never runs out, you don't have to bag it, you don't have to wear gloves to prevent fingerprints, you can turn symmetry on and sculpt one side while the other side magically sculpts itself to match the side you are sculpting on.

    It's a fun little tool.

    Sorry for the rant. It's seems to very popular to hate CGI now. I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I were to make a movie of my own, how could I go about using one of your songs in it?

    ReplyDelete